Do you have a love/hate relationship with your hips? With Pigeon Pose? Do you shoot dagger eyes at your yoga teacher when they mention hip openers or do you say OOO-La-La! Honestly, I have never seen a more polarizing pose than Pigeon. And I must say, I was once a lover, now I'm a "what else could I try?" kinda girl. Interested in how I keep my hips happy? Read on !
We just got back from a weekend away, a long car ride and my ass is killing me, and the front of my thighs, my hip flexors, EEK! Going from sitting to standing right now, I look like I'm 100 years old, not 55! Anybody else?
When we sit for too long, the muscles and the fascia shorten, the glutes turn off and our whole hip package gets thrown outta whack! and let's face it, we are all sitting more than we probably should.
Want a good stretch, without Pigeon Pose? I got you covered with 6 of my faves!
1.Reclined Butterfly on a bolster with a blanket. Close your eyes, exhale several times out of your mouth and rest here for 5+minutes.
2. Lizard Lunge Rocks and a Side Bend: Step right foot forward with hands on blocks or floor, walk foot slight out to the right and gently rock forward and then sit hip back toward heel. Rock back and forth 8-10 times. Come back to low lunge and add a side bend. Hold for 5 breaths. Repeat on the other side.
Also, you can step the foot out to the side, think knee down Warrior 2 and rock back and forth, 8-10 times.
3. Happy Baby: on back, pull knees into chest and open knees out to sides. Reach up and grab your feet, ankles or thighs and press low back into the floor for 4-5 breathes then gently rock side to side.
4. Wide Leg Forward Fold: Cranky hammies, bend your knees a little. Lift hip points up to ceiling. Add a book or block under your hands if they don't reach the floor.
5. Stacked Logs: Sitting up, cross right ankle behind left and prop left ankle on a block or bolster, fold forward until you feel a nice stretch in your back hip. Hold 5 breaths. Repeat on other side.
This one is also a great one if you are experiencing hot flushes or anxiety!
6. Seated Butterfly with Forward Fold. Hold 5 breaths. This one also quiets the mind and cools the body. Great if you have had a hectic day or are experiencing menopause symptoms.
So, there you have it! Several alternatives to Pigeon Pose, that will make your hips smile! For more yoga tips, hop over to my socials!
Registered Yoga Teacher, Menopause Doula, health and wellness explorer, self care expert focused on empowering women over forty with tools for loving the midlife journey