OK, If you are a Jimmy Buffet fan, you know "My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink". So you get the title of this piece is a little nod to him, but seriously:
Are you noticing heightened senses some days and your like, WTH is going on?! I mean my ringing ears on some days makes me want to scream and I've been caught scratching my butt more than once lately. My legs look like a crocodile and the smell of Irises and Cilantro makes my gag reflex kick in! This is no joke! I had to get rid of my wool sweaters and turtlenecks last year. I could not stand them on my skin!! Well, I've got a little FYI:
These changes are real. During Perimenopause and Menopause our senses are heightened. Yes, there is a physiological reason for all the weirdness right now.
Hormonal changes effect all the senses, tissues are dryer and thinner, making the skin and other parts more sensitive or less sensitive. Busyness has depleted our adrenals and our vagus nerve (connects brain and gut, and effects everything from mood to digestion), so that taco gives you serious heartburn!! So, what's a girl to do?
It's time to reconnect and I've got some mind body techniques that can help.
1. Do one thing at a time. Slow down. It's the best way to nourish your senses.
2. Self Massage with oil. It's one of my faves. Cause it has a two for one benefit. It calms your nervous system and calms your dry skin. I love after a bath, to take 5-10 minutes to lovingly massage my body. My favorite oils include Marula Oil or Coconut Oil (smells amazing).Don't rush this ladies. Enjoy!
3. Pick clothes that feel great on your body. I love that buttery cotton. You know the kind you can't help touching? and I love clothes with a little compression. (that's new for me) So explore and find what feels great to you.
4. Eat healthy fats and drink lots of water. I add avocado to my salad, smoothie, toast, you name it. I also keep a mason jar full of water on my desk all day.
5. And last but not least, one of my faves is 5-4-3-2-1. What five things can you see? What four things can you smell? What three things can you hear? What two things can you feel and What 1 thing can you taste?
So ladies, nourish your nervous system. Keep it Slow, Simple and Sacred (thanks to my Menopause doula trainer, Christine). Your senses will thank you!
P.s. Check out Christine @yogachristinehi on Instagram.. She's one of my favorite acounts.
Registered Yoga Teacher, Menopause Doula, health and wellness explorer, self care expert focused on empowering women over forty with tools for loving the midlife journey